Saturday, June 6, 2009

Friday Fill - Ins, Saturday morning addition and It's Cocktail Time!


I must give credit for this wonderful post idea to Shana - it's never too late for Friday Fill Ins! Since I started this entry I have done two loads of laundry (hung one up on the clothes line to dry), cleaned out a junk drawer, commented on three of Shana's posts (she's running a half mary tomorrow - go wish her luck!), helped Hubby find batteries, tried to help Hubby find his pneumatic nailer, made reservations for a trip to Block Island, RI on July with friends from Florida, made our hotel reservations for NYC next weekend, ate a bowl of cereal and drank two cups of coffee. To say I am easily distracted is stating the obvious. Let me get finish this post before it's next Friday!


And...here we go!

1. I love my home.

2. My favorite thing for dinner lately has been anything homemade.

3. My cat's go meow meow meow not bark! bark! bark!

4. A nice long walk is relaxing and helps center me.

5. I'm always happy to hear some good news.

6. When all is said and done, I'm very lucky and thankful for the gifts in my life.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight (last night) I'm looking forward to dinner with Hubby, tomorrow my plans include finally packing away the winter clothes and Sunday, I want to sleep in and chill!


And now the cocktail - you'll need to find a liquor called falernum. To quote a most amazing cookbook we own ( Original Tortuga Rum Fever & Caribbean Party Cookbook), falernum is a a sweet liquor that originated in the 18th century in Barbados. It's used to flavor rum drinks. Our friend from the local packy gave me a sample of theirs as it is hard to find - I'm sure we'll find some next weekend when we go to NYC. Any how - this drink is simple, tasty and worth the search for falernum - you really can't substitute anything else that will taste the same.


Port Maria


This old Jamaican cocktail is supposed to be a favorite of Noel Coward & his celebrity guests.


1 1/2 ounces light rum

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 T. pineapple juice

1 t. falernum


Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and shake well. Strain into a cordial glass ( we doubled the recipe and used a martini glass) and add ice as desired. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.


Cheers!

No comments: