Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
In no particular order are my Ten on Tuesday. Of course, it is probably skewed by the most recent events but I can't help that - did I mention I'm drinking wine?
1. Mom's December visit - she was here for almost the whole month and we had a really nice time. She lives out West so I miss doing the everyday things with her - we had a nice chance to catch up & just hang out.
2. The Florida Friends #1 visit - I can't remember if I have a name for them, how about Nico's People. Nico's Dad, Mom & brother came up for a week - they hung out with my Mom for a couple of hours when we picked them up at the airport & then dropped Mom off for her return flight. We had visitors for the entire month of December last year & it was good fun...really. I think the highlight was Geocaching when it was around -10 degrees - they loved it! Or at least that's what they said when we went back to the car..where they were sitting freezing their Florida patooties off!
3. The first day of baseball - always a good day - no matter what year.
4. #2 Visit form Florida friends - Visit from the Lizard family - it was a little warmer for them in May. We had a very nice time, hanging out having the nice big bar b-que I planned inside since it rained (the house was packed but that's OK) and showing Li'l Lizard Boy the bees - he had on a pair of pj's with feet which was a nice bee suit & he showed no fear!
5. Our week in Maine - even thought it rained we managed to have a pretty relaxing time. I think we hauled up half our house - which, for those of you who know us, know we don't travel light. We even brought up our own basil plant (pesto) and mint plant (mojito's) because I don't think they have either in Maine.
6. Music on the River concerts - I am on the town Parks & Rec Committee & we sponsor these outdoor summer concerts down by the Connecticut River. They are always good fun - I'll make sure I post all about them this summer.
7. Meeting Dolan's ....main squeeze? fiance? love of her life? Finally ... we thought she was making it all up.
8. Thanksgiving with family - it was nice to get away & have an unusually low key week in Florida. However, my brother in law forced me to drink a copious amount of rum and cokes one night so I hurt myself- thanks, Cliff. Glad you hurt yourself as well : - )
9. The election results - I still get goose bumps thinking about it. Can you imagine what the inauguration will be like?
10. Getting water back - thank God. I would be the worst pioneer woman, although I do like to chop wood.
Honorable mention but I've mentioned it several times already - leaving my old job and getting my new best job ever.
Also starting my blog - it has been fun and I've met some very cool people!
Ok - time to get another glass of wine, happy New Year's Eve eve. I will post from our neighbors tomorrow and most likely will be thankful for spell check after a couple of martinis.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
The good news is we have water. The well boys fixed us up yesterday and the better part is they are sending us the bill. So, since it is the American way we can pay later! Yea - because who needs a $2,000 hit to their bank account 2 days before Christmas.
I am going to work but need to start posting from home - we'll see how that goes. Our notsowildaboutblue sentence will end January 7th and I am so excited to cancel their crappy service & get dial up - our best option out in the wilds of Moodus.
So I hope we only have to work until about 2:00, then I need to wrap Hubby's gifts and we will go down to Training Buddy's house for Christmas eve.
I got the below story from a friend at work and think it is so fitting for the holiday; Christmas, Hanukkah, Solstice or whatever you celebrate.
An old Rabbi once asked his pupils how they could tell
when the night had ended and the day had begun.
“Could it be,” asked one of the students, “When you see
an animal in the distance and can tell whether
it’s a sheep or a dog?”
“No,” answered the Rabbi.
Another asked, “Is it when you can look at a tree in the
distance and tell whether it’s a fig tree or a peach tree?”
“No,” answered the Rabbi.
“Then what is it?” the pupils demanded.
“It is when you can look on the face of any man or
woman and see that it is your sister or brother.
Because if you cannot see this, it is still night.”
~ Tales of the Hasidim
And finally, above an ever so cute photo my friends the Lizards. Now, does anyone know any modeling agencies looking for cute kids? Cuz I think this kid has a future. I hope you were all good and get what you wished for!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Not a lot of snow yet but you got the sense things were going to change quickly. Another 10 minutes I was turning into downtown Moodus (by the packy) and it looked like this
You'll notice it was pretty wet stuff. I was ever so glad to be home. I went out on our back deck and took this update photo
And since I can't figure out how to format the photos any different - sorry there you have it.
Our neighbor came down for gift wrapping and martinis and Hubby fortunately had the good sense to drive her down and home - our driveway was a bitch..... And the cats - where were they during the storm? Safe and sound..
Eric - Dude - I am so sorry you missed this one. This was all the snow you were waiting for last year when you were here. So why don't you talk your folks into coming up again..like this week....
Ok - now the drama part - we were enjoying the view - a little nervous about the driveway but we were cool. Until I was fixing dinner and the water just stopped. Like stopped coming out of the faucet. Like none came out ...of any faucet...in the whole house. Now Hubby is very handy so I wasn't freaked out yet. Until he totally freaked out. Do you know how much you depend on running water? I thought I knew but I really didn't until this weekend and trust me, now I do. We made a run into town to get water - Hubby forgot he has low 4 wheel drive on his truck & even after I told him (he didn't listen to me) he managed to get stuck going out up our bitch of a driveway and broke a taillight when he hit a tree. We went to the local drug store and since we hadn't showered in 2 days - had just been a major fight and were stressed about the whole lack of water thing, we looked our best and I'm sure broadcasted a vibe of peace, love and harmony. Fortunately for us that is when we ran in Senator Christopher Dodd. I'm sure he was so impressed with us - I could tell by how fast he got the hell away from us & out the door. Actually he was quite cordial, shorter than I thought and buying a snow shovel. That was our brush with someone famous for the day - he does live in East Haddam so it shouldn't have been a big surprise to see him somewhere around town.
We melted snow to wash some dishes, used snow to cool down our martini glasses (that was a nice suprise - it really cools things off) and basically worried about how much it would cost us to get the damn pump/well/whateverthehellitwasthatwasn'tworking fixed. The good news is the company that originally dug the well is still in business and they returned our call. I belong to a gym at work so hurried in this morning to shower there before work. More good news is the well comapny was to be at the house this afternoon about 1:30. Hubby called me at 3:30 to tell me that yes, they showed up at 1:30 and at 3:30 they had just finished digging their truck out of the ditch off our driveway - did I mention the driveway is a bitch and over 1,500 feet long? So now I get to sit here an wait and wonder how much this repair will cost us, when they can get it done and hope the driveway isn't too iced over for my drive home. If it is, I'll park down by the mail box and walk home, in the dark. What was I saying about how much I heart snow? This is the view out of my office today - notice the ice floats in the river.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Ok - I missed Ten On Tuesday - way too busy with holiday things but basically I can cover it in one or two sentences. The list was the Ten Best Gifts You Have Ever Gave . Very easy for me - the quilts I have made for wedding, Christmas, baby events. And the trip Hubby & I gave Mom to Ireland - that was hands down the best gift I ever gave. I'll take some photos of some the quilts that I have access to & post them some day. Same with Ireland photos..
Ok - off to the paky (affectionate name for the package store) to get my bottle of port - its' going to snow!! YEA!!!!
*The photo is of our other cat, Casey. She hates the snow & cold because she is a Florida kitty . This is a random kitty photo post.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Where is your significant other? work
Your hair color? brown
Your mother? awesome
Your father? alive
Your favorite thing? home
Your dream last night? none
Your goal? contentment
The room you're in? office
Your hobby? quilting
Your fear? dark
Where do you want to be in six years? home
Where were you last night? parade
What you're not? unhappy
One of your wish-list items? wealth
Where you grew up? Montana
The last thing you did? ate
What are you wearing? clothes
Your TV? plasma
Your pet? cats
Your computer? on
Your mood? tired
Missing someone? yep
Your car? truck
Something you're not wearing? Birkenstocks
Favorite store? bookstore
Your summer? happy
Love someone? yes
Your favorite color? purple
When is the last time you laughed? today
Last time you cried? weekly
Friday, December 12, 2008
1. Friends are the best thing ever - I've got great ones!
2. Good health; it's nothing to take for granted.
3. I'm ready for going out to dinner tonight & enjoy the company of an old friend and a new friend.
4. Old Spice (my Dad used to wear it) is one of my favorite perfumes or aftershaves or smells.
5. The oldest ornament I have is , since my brother doesn't read this - I have the blue Silent Night ball!!! A very big deal in our family and it was wanted by both of us - Mom likes me best, she gave it to me!
6. Take some hot tea, honey, lemon & whiskey, mix it all together and you have an awesome hot toddy.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to dinner then working on Christmas gifts, tomorrow my plans include running....gulp.... 8 miles and packing up gifts to mail and Sunday, I want to work on Christmas gifts, watch the 'Fins win & enjoy the Niantic Christmas parade!
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
I was over at one of my favorite knitting blogs, bag n' trash home of monster yarn and watched this video - I was a wild child of the 80's but do not remember this video but of course know the song. I am linking to her blog, but Maryse, I had to link the You Tube video on my blog as well - thanks for the great idea!Ok - I tried to link the You Tube vidoe but can't figure it out so check out the link - really and have a great weekend!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
"Dude - don't pack the quilt - you won't need it in Florida." - Nelson
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Friday, November 14, 2008
If you need to try and stay warm - go here to try and win a quilt. They are really nice, thanks to Chris at stumblingoverchaos for pointing me to this really cool contest. Good luck but I hope I win at least one of them - especially since I didn't win the snow blower - bummer....
Ok - on with the show - have a great weekend!
1. Please feel free to leave a comment so I know you care.
2. When I ride in a new car I can't help sniffing it occasionally.
3. My favorite thing to cook is a meal for friends.
4. Good energy is something I can't get enough of.
5. That's the thing I love most about hanging out with positive people.
6. Montana always makes me think to myself, what the heck?
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to a glass (bottle?) of wine and changing from my dress and high heels - YUK!, tomorrow my plans include the training run and dinner with good friend my training buddy and Sunday, I want to sleep in then watch the 'Fins beat Oakland !
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Friday, November 7, 2008
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Friday, October 31, 2008
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Friday, October 24, 2008
1. Right now, I'm feeling tired, not sure why.
2. Home working on a quilt or knitting or drinking a nice glass of wine is where I want to be.
3. How does one stay motivated to run once one has signed up for a half marathon?
4. Fear of not finishing keeps me on track.
5. Please don't forget to leave a comment.
6. My friends and family and cats fill me with joy.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to quilting, tomorrow my plans include running and Sunday, I want to meet my friend for a chick flick!
Have a great weekend ya'll!!
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Monday, October 13, 2008
I was trying to sew a quilt top after a couple of martinis and got a really bad thread lock ( very bad - your machine freezes up ) and had to take it to a repair shop. There is danger in quilting when drunk!
The bees were looking for food and found all the old hives we have in the garage so when the door was open, in they came. We probably had a couple thousand bees spend the night in our garage last night so I couldn't get to the laundry room to do laundry (yea!)
But we did go to Gouveia Vineyards and enjoyed a nice bottle of rose and a beautiful view of fall. And really - if those are the only problems I have - I'm pretty damn lucky...
Friday, October 10, 2008
Thursday, October 9, 2008
You are most like:
You are Yellow
The clouds part and the smell of daffodils and daisies fill the air when you are around. Your sunny disposition cheers most, and makes others (the jealous and bitter ones) wish you'd never gotten out of bed.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
2. TiVo - I could never watch all the sports I do without it. Love it!
3. News - hate it! I try not to start my day watching TV - it is so negative and when I only have 45 minutes in the morning to listen to something, I prefer that it not be negative stories.
4. NASCAR coverage - all the networks. The coverage is getting awful - each network picks their favorite drivers and to hell with the rest of the field. Don't they realize that is a good way to lose car sponsors? Really - they should consult me on these things.
5. Reality TV - getting bored with it although I have never been a big fan. I do watch Extreme Makeover although it does seem to exploit the folks who eventually get the house...
6. Direct TV - love it! The NFL package, XM satellite radio channels, what's not to love?
7. Series going out on DVD's - great idea! I would probably have never got hooked on Arrested Development otherwise. Great show!
8. Food Channel - used to like it but now, not so much. Where are the chefs - not just people who cook?
9. Network TV - don't watch it.
10. The Daily Show & The Colbert Report - best 2 shows on TV without a doubt.
Whew - that was hard. Anyone have any thoughts?
Monday, October 6, 2008
Otherwise things are clicking along, we might get out first frost tonight, so the plants need to come in & we need to start dragging wood in for the fire. Mondays are when I go to see how much weight I lost over the last week - I'm not too optimistic tonight as we enjoyed some good food & wine this weekend. Oh well - I'm sure a scotch egg isn't over 2-3 points - what's that my food calculator? - it's 8 points - oh shit...Tonight will most likely not be good. Maybe if I run the 20 miles to get there it might be better - ya, right.
Sox play tonight at 8 - Jon Lester is pitching - go SOX!!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Anyhow - no time to write more - you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see the exciting Boston pics. Does anyone think the Sox have a chance against the Angels? Let me know what you think ! ( A desperate attempt to get anyone to leave a comment - don't make me go political, that could get ugly!)
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Ten Great Things That Happened This Summer
1. Left my old job - finally!
2. Started my great, fab new job - YEA!
3. Enjoyed a visit with friends from Florida & their adorable 3 year old.
4. Spent a week in Maine with great friends and their Princess.
5. Enjoyed good wine & a summer night on our back patio.
6. Got to practice reiki with a good friend.
7. Started & finished a quilt for a fundraiser.
8. Helped our team raise over $6,000 for Relay for Life.
9. Discovered that steriods really work on poison ivy.
10. Split a shitload of firewood for this winter.